At St Francis College, an unfair wait

Sources claim the college failed to get permission from Osmania University

Hyderabad’s St Francis College for Women has landed itself in a spot of trouble over its MSc Psychology course. It has been revealed that the students, who had enrolled for the MSc (Applied Psychology) course have discovered that they could be handed an MA degree instead of the promised MSc.

The reason? Sources have claimed the college failed to get the required permissions from Osmania University — the university it is affiliated to — to go ahead with the course. A source from the college told DC: “The two degrees will make a huge difference to the students. The students have gone ahead and paid their fees as well.”

Most of the students are apprehensive about being handed an MA degree when the college had advertised an MSc degree in applied psychology. Around 30 students have signed up for the course. So the crucial question that arises here is this: How could the college even go ahead with a course before securing the required permissions?

Upset students have had numerous meetings with the college management, but no solution has been offered. In a few instances, parents too intervened. The latest development is that principal Sister Christine has asked for two months’ for the issue to be resolved. “I am working on it and I know how to handle it,” was Sister Christine’s reply to Deccan Chronicle.

When contacted, OU officials also indicated at a confusion between the university and the college. “A college needs to apply to the university for a particular course, before going ahead with it. The proposal is then put in front of the Standing Committee of Academic Senate, and only based on their decision can the college announce a new course. About the issue with St Francis College, the principal is expected to get back to us with proper documents, after which we will place the request in front of the committee and a final decision will be taken,” said Prof. E. Suresh Kumar, Registrar, Osmania University.

Kumar added, “Though St Francis is an autonomous college, autonomy doesn’t mean total freedom — they can’t go ahead with a course without getting the permission from the university.” The fate of the students now depends on a decision that will be taken by the Committee. As of now, students have to wait.