Student start-ups to get boost with Smart India launch

The call would be acknowledged within 24 hours and repair work done in two days

KOZHIKODE: Additional Skill Acquisition Programme (ASAP) in Kannur is all set to launch a project called ‘Smart India’ which envisions student start-ups. The project will be launched in August and already 30 students under three vocational courses have been trained by BSNL.

“Customer relationship management tools for the project have been developed. Soon a mobile app would also be launched," said Smitha Sukumaran, the district programme manager of ASAP.

The project is conceived as a ‘one-stop shop’ for the public to call and seek help in PC hardware and maintenance, front office management and home appliance maintenance.

The call would be acknowledged within 24 hours and repair work done in two days. If not, the work would be done free of cost.

Later, more vocational jobs like plumbing, painting, accounting etc will be incorporated into the project. To start with, firms affiliated with Malabar Chamber of Commerce and a few CBSE schools have been roped in as customers under ‘Smart India’. “We had selected students who have completed plus-two. Those who were interested in higher studies were excluded,” added Smitha.

The ASAP team had also reached an agreement with private hotels in Kannur to absorb students who had completed training in Front Office.

In 2014-15, as many as 2,873 students in 119 institutions are being covered by ASAP. Besides, crash training was provided to 933 students during the summer vacation.