Corporation to draft students, pay them for conservancy work

Corporation now plans to involve interested students and unemployed graduates on a part-time basis
Chennai: Battling labour shortage, the Chennai corporation now plans to involve interested students and unemployed graduates in conservancy work on a part-time basis. The local body conducted a drive at Mylapore last week through an NGO for the same and the response was good. Officials said this will help youngsters earn pocket money.
Apart from permanent workers of the local body, the corporation currently employs contract workers on daily basis
and workers under the Swarna JayantiShahari Rozgar Yojana
(SJSRY). However, there are complaints about local councillors swindling money meant for the workers or replacing them with their men.
Incidences of councillors receiving commission from these workers have also been reported. In order to find a solution to the rising demand for cleaning work and repeated complaints by the contract workers, the corporation is planning to invite interested students above 18 years and jobless, on a part-time basis.
A pay of Rs 37.50 for every working hour has been calculated and they can work a minimum of two to three hours a day. They will be involved in door-to-door collection of garbage or sweeping and would be given protective gears during the cleaning activity.
"The part-time work will not only help youngsters to earn money, but will bring in a social responsibility. Many are interested and have offered to work part-time," a source said.
The idea is still under discussion. It will be announced officially along with the information about applying for the same, sources add.
P. Srinivasalu, general secretary of Chennai Corporation Red Flag Union says, "Involving NGOs, students, unemployed graduates cannot bring a permanent solution. Such mass cleaning drive will work only one day to mark an occasion."