Demand for BBA, B.Com degrees rise in Hyderabad

However, high cut offs do not guarantee good quality of students

Hyderabad: Commerce and management courses are fast becoming the most sought after degree courses in Hyderabad and this year the competition is tougher.

Officials of well known degree colleges in the city, government as well as private, say that over the past few years the demand for Commerce and Management courses is increasing as students from even Science streams are applying for them rather than the usually opting for Engineering.

Among the well-known degree colleges in the city, the cut offs for admission into various Bachelor of Commerce combinations and for Bachelor of Business Administration courses range between 85 per cent and 97 per cent.

Principals of various degree colleges revealed that they have no doubt that the cut off percentages for commerce and management courses will keep increasing over the years.

One example is St. Mary’s Centenary Degree College, where the cut off for B.Com Computers was 90 per cent in 2013-14, 95 per cent in 2014-15 and 97 per cent in 2015-16.

However, high cut offs do not guarantee good quality of students. The vice principal of a degree college said, “Many students who get admissions even after clearing the high cut offs do not possess qualitative knowledge. Corrections in Intermediate have become very lenient, an example of which is students scoring a perfect 100 even in languages. On top of this, rote learning has made it easier for many to score 90 per cent and above.”

Among science courses it is only those combinations which have statistics, CS or IT as one of the subjects that are in demand. In other streams, the competition is still low as cut off even in many well-known colleges have not crossed 75 per cent this year.

Meanwhile, it is mostly students who want to pursue a career in civil services who usually take up Arts. The only college where tough competition was witnessed in Science and Arts courses was Nizam College, where the cut off is 91 per cent and above.