Another goof-up by CBSE about to happen

There was no change in fractional ranks received by some Telangana students

Hyderabad: Another goof up by the Central Board of Secondary Education is on the cards adding to an already botched up IIT and NIT counselling process.

Second round seat allotments for admissions into the remaining seats in IITs, NITs and other institutions are set for Monday, July 13.

Blaming Telangana for the delay in announcing the original JEE Main rank list, the CBSE had said it will announce a revised rank list on July 8, juxtaposing Class 12 marks of all students from all boards again.

But no announcement has been forthcoming yet from the CBSE leaving students and parents confused.

There were claims of the CBSE directly providing the rank lists to the Joint Seat Allocation Authority instead of releasing the same publicly.

But JoSAA authorities confirmed that no revised rank list had reached them from the CBSE till Saturday evening.

Also, there was no change in fractional ranks received by some Telangana students.

The revised rank list would have done away with the fractional ranks and given integer ranks to all qualified students.

But after the surprise announcement by the CBSE, JoSAA authorities had earlier said that the revised JEE Main rank list would be used for second round and subsequent phases of seat allotment.

The decision left students and parents confused since they are not allowed to change choices once locked in.

Students were given time from July 1 till July 6 to fill in choices and allotments as per the first round.

But no word from the CBSE on the revised rank list has capped off a year marked by consecutive goof ups. Lack of coordination between the JoSAA and CBSE is also apparent.