64 per cent of RTE seats filled in Tamil Nadu matric schools

55,605 seats available as total intake and 26,466 students have beengiven free seats

Chennai: Private matriculation schools in the state have filled about 64 per cent of seats and several elementary schools have admitted 47 per cent of students under the 25 per cent reservation in Right to Education Act. According to directorate of matriculation schools statistics, of the total 2,42,385 seats in 3,673 private matriculation schools across the state 61,875 fall under the 25 per cent RTE quota of which schools have admitted 39,329 students leaving 22,546 seats vacant.

As far as primary, nursery and elementary schools in the state are concerned, there are 55,605 seats available as total intake in 5,314 schools and 26,466 students have been provided free seats in the 25 per cent RTE category, which leaves 29,139 seats vacant. As per the RTE Act every school has to allocate 25 per cent of their seats free of cost at the entry level for students from the disadvantaged and poorer sections of the society. It may be recalled that director of matriculation schools (DMS) had laid down guidelines detailing the procedures to be followed when students are admitted under RTE Act and how fees should be reimbursed to the schools.

In the guidelines sent to all district chief educational officers, inspectors of matriculation schools, the director has said that CEOs should constitute a committee in every school with a headmaster of a school, assistant elementary education officer and a teacher trainer to over see the RTE admission process.