At 98 per cent, BCom, BA cutoffs appal students in Kerala

The cut-off in key colleges for BSc physics is 95 percent

Kochi: BCom and BA Economics in top colleges under MG University are much in demand with the cut-off percentage in the second allotment this year going up to 98 stunning even students having A-plus in all subjects being denied admission.

According to officials related to the UG Centralised Allotment Process, in the aided and good government colleges, even other subjects are having higher cut-off and many students are being driven to self-financing colleges to get admission.

The cut-off in key colleges for BSc physics is 95 percent, chemistry-93, mathematics-93, botany-86, zoology- 89, BA history-85, politics-87, English-92, Malayalam-87, psychology-82, geology-92, bachelor of computer application – 92.

The key colleges include UC College, Aluva, St Albert’s, Ernakulam, Bharath Matha, Ernakulam, Cochin College, Edakochi, St Paul’s Kalamassery; St Xavier’s, Aluva, St Peter’s, Kolencherry, CMS College, Kottayam, Baselios College, Kottayam, St Thoma’s, Pala, Assumption College, Changanassery, Marian College, Kuttikanam, Marthoma College, Thiruvalla, Catholicate College Pathanamthitta, St Thomas Kozhencherry, Alphonsa College, Pala, Government College, Nattakom, T.M.Jacob Memorial College, Manimalakunnu, Government Arts College, Tripunithura, KE College, Mannanam, NSS Hindu College, Changanassery and Government College Kattappana.

However, the officials expect the cut-off to come down after the professional courses’ allotment and a clear picture will emerge after the supplementary allotments.

The officials said that there was no basis for the allegation that the CBSE students were being discriminated against in the admission process. “While 44 percent of the total CBSE students who applied for UG courses got admission, 42 percent of the students who applied from the Kerala stream got admission,” said officials.