Students clash outside Calicut Medical College Hospital

Tiff was over constructing road to the hostel

Kozhikode: The student union rivalries in the Medical College here have resulted in clashes outside the campus.

The police charged four cases and arrested three following the violence between the SFI and the Independents.

The college union has been run by Independents for many years and there were only occasional fights within the campus.

The tiff over the construction of road towards the hostel of paramedical students is said to be the cause of the latest tussle.

Many medicos suffered injuries during the clash on Monday when hammer and other tools were used. The next day also witnessed isolated clashes and SFI students laid siege to the police station protesting the arrest of their leader.

“All these incidents are the deliberate attempts of SFI to sabotage our hold in the college,” alleges Jishad, union chairman and Independents leader. The Independents say that they had not only to fight the SFI but an established political system which enjoys the backing from outside campus, including that of DYFI.

“We are here not to play politics. Hence we are ignorant of the politics which portrays good as bad and vice versa,” said an Independents leader. But SFI leader Nidheesh N.G. retorts that it was Independents who indiscriminately attacked their members. “They had fabricated injuries to register cases against us. The allegation that girls cannot walk on the campus because of SFI members is ridiculous,” he said at a press conference on Thursday.

Meanwhile, MCH Principal, Dr P.V Narayanan said that he was waiting for the report of the police and the college internal committee to take action. “The students mentioned in the reports should be suspended,” he said.

Though there was a decision to suspend the three arrested medicos—Mithun Issac, Naseeb Hamsa of Independents and Alex Eldo Symon of SFI—it was withdrawn following the protest of SFI. The college inquiry committee, headed by Forensic Medicine HoD, Dr Thomas Mathew, is expected to submit the report on Saturday.