Students Association stage protest in front of Director of School Education office

Protesters demanded implementation of RTE and arrest of the private school owners

Chennai: Members of the All India Students’ Association staged a protest in front of the office of the Director of School Education at DPI on Wednesday seeking the implementation of Right to Education Act, proper infrastructure in government schools and other demands. About 50 members from the association participated in the protest. They urged the government to take over school that had not implemented the Right to Education Act.

The protesters also sought the arrest of owners of schools that are charging exorbitant fees from students.“The government is silent about exorbitant fees charged by private schools. Basic facilities like class rooms, toilet, drinking water, lab and many more are not there in government and private schools,” said K. Bharathi, national secretary to the All India Students Association (AISA). He also demanded that teachers be recruited on a permanent basis and not on contract.

“We are demanding free education for all, not only for government schools but for private schools too,” said C. Panndiyarajan, National executive council of AISA.The protest was also against allowing private schools to take over government schools.