Alappuzha: Foreign students toil to build school dining hall

The local people put their fingers on the nose observing their dedication

Alappuzha: A group of twelve students from Luxembourg aged between 16 and 18 is fond of hard working and identifying the basic needs of kids. The senior secondary students from International School of Luxembourg are on a mission to improve the standards of government schools here.

The youngsters including girls picked up shovels and trenching hoes, offloaded sand from heavy duty vehicles, mixed up huge amount of mortar and laid the foundation for a new dining hall to be built within a week at Mannoor DKNM LPS near Haripad. The local people put their fingers on the nose observing their dedication. They came out in their support making the works faster.

They managed to get two professional masons, under whom the construction is still under way. It was last Thursday that the group led by Ben Smith, the physical education teacher, landed in Kochi and spent two days days there visiting places of interest. Then they reached Mannoor School to take up the mission. For the last one week, they were making the ground spread over 25 cents of land, clearing shrubs and creepers to be converted into an eye-catching orchard.

“This project has been taken up to make our student understand the value-based and focused education sticking on three points; creativity, action and service,” Mr Smith said.

“It’s organised as part of fundraising programme made possible by Luxembourg based business firm called Kalypso Adventures which has links to Kerala. Another group which is currently in Munnar will arrive here on Thursday. We plan a dining hall, playground and a toilet with an outlay of Rs 4 lakh,” he told DC.