Braving odds to become engineers

Most students opted for Computer studies, with Mechanical Engineering coming in second
Chennai: Proving that anything is possible through hard work, several students from across the state were elected under the Disability Quota for engineering counselling at Anna University on Monday. Most students opted for Computer studies, with Mechanical Engineering coming in second.
Hearing, visual and orthopedic impairment are each allotted 1 per cent of the total quota, therefore the number of seats available was 5,137. However, only 220 candidates applied under this quota. Of the 220 candidates, 163 students were allotted seats by the end of the session. The rest have been directed to take the general counseling.
Arriving hours ahead of time for her counseling was Sreenitha S, who came under the orthopedic impairment category, Her mother, Shanthi S. said, “This is our third counseling. She lost out on a medical seat because of her height. Now we’re hoping for Computer Science seat. If not, she will do a BSc degree.”
At the end of the day, 19 seats were allotted for hearing impaired, 13 for visually impaired and 13 for orthopedic impaired. S. Saraswathi, a student with hearing impairment, got placed for Biomedical Engineering at Anna University, an institution that was her first preference. Her mother, S. Vijaya said she had put it all the hard work herself, barely even attending tuitions.