Students keep it preppy & fun

College students talk about the trends they follow in the classroom
Most of the trends popular on the runways are being seen among college students today. While visiting colleges in Bangalore, such as Christ University, CMS Jain College, St Josephs Arts and Science College, Mount Carmel College, and MS Ramaiah College, a homogenous trend was seen among all the students, which was borderline preppy in nature. Mitali Sud, a student from Ashoka University states, “College fashion for me is all about comfort. So I wear clothes that make me feel confident about myself, and those are ones that make me feel comfortable with my body.”
Some colleges like Christ College and MS Ramaiah Medical College have a strict Indian dress code, as they believe in toning down what they believe to be distractions. But this doesn’t stop the students from expressing their sense of style. Rashmi Ashok, A student from MS Ramaiah states, “Even though we have to wear kurtas to college, some of us still make the look fashionable by accessorising it with jewellery, bags, or a scarf. This adds a more personal touch to the outfit.” Other colleges like CMS Jain and Mount Carmel are more relaxed with dress code rules, where western clothing is allowed.
College fashion consists more of relaxed clothing that is easy to wear and is comfortable to be in. Something like a bodycon dress would be inconvenient to wear to college. Casual Chambray shirts, leggings, tank tops, cardigans, blazers, classic blue jeans, are some of the essential college must haves for college students.
When asked on what is a college essential wardrobe, Aasshna Guptaa, a student from CMS Jain College says, “A good, well fitting jacket is crucial as it can be repeated more than once and must be a universal colour which will go with an array of outfits, and also fulfill its original purpose of keeping you warm in cases of colder weather.” Layering is extremely important for a college wardrobe, as it adds more texture to one’s look, making the look more interesting. Hence, apart from education, college is a major ground for growth in an individual’s personal style. Students are inspired not only from the outside world, but also from one another, building their style through confidence.