Model United Nations imbibes critical thought

The model delegates showed great enthusiasm in learning various procedures of the UN
Visakhapatnam: Close on the heels of Model Parliament session in Andhra University two days ago, Visak-hapatnam hosted another mock event, namely Model United Nations summit on Saturday to create awareness and to cultivate critical thinking in students about the United Nations (UN) proceedings.
Hundreds of students across the city from various schools and colleges – Oakridge International School, Bethany School, Gitam University and Visakha Valley School to name a few – turned up to this event held in Palm Beach Hotel in the city. From Syrian crisis and global monopoly to the proliferation of mass destructive weapons and different global catastrophes, the model delegates raised many pressing issues of international significance.
Split into four councils, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), the Disarmament and International Security Committee (DISEC), the Interna-tional Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) and the Fédération Internationale de Foot-ball Association (FIFA), the students attending the conference chose the country of their choice and batted for the issues of those countries.
Each council having its own agenda, the event encouraged the model delegates to have fruitful debate and nurture the ability to convince the masses to follow their opinion. This also granted participants a bucket load of knowledge, with regard to real-world events.
The model delegates showed great enthusiasm in learning various procedures of the UN such as presidential statement and voting procedure. A 10-year-old boy, who enacted as a France delegate, mesmerised the dignitaries and rest of the delegates with his impressive debating skills. Sumedh Yadavalli, one of the organisers of this event, said it provides students the most dynamic and enriching educational experience about the proceedings of the UN and imbibes critical thinking in them.