Kashmir orphan boy unable to pay IIT counselling fee

Zahid Ahmad Qureshi was among 3 students of 'Kashmir Super-30' who have cleared JEE-Advanced

Srinagar: After cracking the prestigious IIT with active support from Army under 'Sadhbhavana project' this month, a militancy-victim from north Kashmir might be forced to forgo his seat as he is unable to pay the counselling fee of Rs 10,000.

Zahid Ahmad Qureshi (21), an orphan whose father was shot dead by militants when he was just two months old, was among three students of 'Kashmir Super-30' who have cleared JEE-Advanced for admission into the prestigious IITs in the recently declared results.

The 'Super-30' programme launched by the Indian Army only last year is run by Srinagar-based Chinar Corps in collaboration with the NGO 'Centre for corporate Social responsibility and leadership'.

"I am not in a position to pay my counselling fee. No body is coming forward to help me as a result of which I might not be in a position to pursue the course and forced to forgo my seat," Qureshi, a resident of remote Glaiend Kalan village of Kupwara said.

Qureshi was part of the second batch of 'super-30' and had secured 89th rank. Gazi Hussain Mailk of village Daskushen-Naupura of Shopian district secured 114 while Azad Ali of village Goma-Namsuru in Ladakh secured 598 rank.

A senior Army officer said it was unfortunate that the boy did not approach the force with this problem.

"It is not an issue at all for us. We wish the boy had come to us before going to the media. We will ensure that he does not miss the bus for IIT," the officer said.

Each year 30 students belonging to economically backward background are selected and made to undergo one year coaching for IIT exams under expert faculty from Delhi. Last year one student cleared IIT while rest were selected for NIT and SSM College Srinagar. This year, the results were most encouraging with 12 candidates clearing JEE-main and the three clearing JEE-Advanced.

Brought up by his grandparents after his mother remarried, Qureshi said his family has no source of income and have rented a portion of the house to daily wagers to sustain the family. He said his 96-year-old grandfather used to sell tea at Kupwara market but had to stop in view of old age 10-years ago.

( Source : PTI )