International Yoga Day: Karimnagar kids script record

15,000 students demonstrate asanas to popularise yoga
Karimnagar/Nizamabad: With Sunday being a holiday on which the International Yoga Day is slated to be observed, both the government and private schools observed the maiden International Yoga Day on Saturday by organising various programmes with zeal across the district. As many 1,5000 kids of Siddartha High School scripted a record by demonstrating asanas in presence of representatives of Indian Book of Records, Dr. Hari Kumar and Krishna Reddy.
Karimnagar Municipal Corporation Mayor S. Ravinder Singh, district education officer Srinivasa Chary, deputy DEO Jayaveer Rao, corporators Choppari Venu and Challa Harishanker and the institution's academic director D. Sripal Reddy were present. Carrying placards that read: “Stop Smoking Start practising yoga, stop drinking alcohol and start following yoga”, the students sat in the shape of a yogic posture and displa-yed their yogic skills.
Speakers of the programme opined that several evil habits could be overcome with the help of yoga, besides excelling in studies. Pupils of Advaita School performed various postures of yoga, sporting in white clothes. Many other private and government institutions held yoga training sessions to their students on the occasion.
Benefits and importance of yoga were explained to students. Similar programmes were witnessed in educational institutions spread in the district.
In Nizamabad, people from different walks of life are gearing up to participate in the events that are being organised on the occasion of International Yoga Day on June 21. Mentally retarded and blind children came forward to participate in yoga on the occasion. Sneha society for rural re-construction, a Nizamabad-based NGO, is conducting rehearsals with children for the event for last couple of days.
Sneha society secretary S. Siddaiah said that mentally retarded and blind children in their school at Maruthinagar will perform yoga on Sunday.