Tamil Nadu to clarify its position on MBBS eligibility in Madras High Court today

Petitions are seeking direction to authorities to confine counselling for MBBS / BDS courses

Chennai: Just as the counselling for MBBS / BDS courses is set to commence, the state government informed the Madras High court that it would clarify its stand on whether it would include the students who competed the qualifying examination in previous years or not in this year’s admission to the professional courses. A division bench, comprising justices Sathish K Agnihotri and M Venugopal, was hearing the appeal filed by Kabilan who passed the current plus -2 exam and applied for MBBS course and 61 other minors.

The petitions are seeking direction to authorities to confine counselling for MBBS / BDS courses to the candidates who have passed their 10+2 in the academic year 2014 –2015 alone. They submitted that marks secured by the candidates in the present academic year were too low when compared to students who cleared the examination in the previous years.If the candidates of 2014 and preceding years are allowed to contest along with the students of 2015, it would only result in grave injustice being meted out to them.

“It cannot be said there is uniformity in setting up of the papers or in its valuation’ they said.The number of students aspired or applied for this year, but appeared for the qualifying examination during the previous years is 4,679. A large number of students who had cleared the examination in 2014-15 would be affected as they would be kept away from the selection process.