Chargesheet filed on ex-Vice Chancellor of Manonmanium Sundaranar university

RTI activist filed case against Sabapathy Mohan

Tirunelveli: The Tirunelveli district vigilance and anti-corruption wing filed charge-sheet against the former vice chancellor of Manonmanium Sundaranar (MS) university here in a case relating to the admission of 523 students, grossly violating the National Council for Teacher education (NCTE) norms for the B.Ed course through distance education mode. A former DMK poll contestant, Dr R. T. Sabapathy Mohan, believed to be a close associate of the former higher education minister, Dr Ponmudi was appointed as vice chancellor of MS university in April 2008, during the former DMK rule. His tenure at MS university “was one of the worst period”, said a university faculty.

The latter too leveled corruption charges against Sabapathy Mohan in giving franchisee to run courses under distance education mode to ineligible persons through out the country and even abroad, completely flouting the UGC norms.Sabapathy Mohan had allegedly allowed over 1000 students to be admitted to B.Ed course under distance education mode in 2009 in two batches, when NCTE norms permitted only 500 students in all, sources said.

An RTI activist, Sudalai Kannu, collecting evidences against the university administration filed case against Sabapathy Mohan and eight others with the Tirunelveli district vigilance and anti-corruption wing police, who registered the case under section 167, 465,471 and 477(A) of Indian Penal Code and under section 13(2) and 13(1) of the Prevention of corruption act 1988.

However, Sudalaikannu suspected inordinate delay in the investigation and approached the Madurai high court bench that ordered the vigilance and anti-corruption wing police to speed up the case.
Based on the court direction, the vigilance and anti-corruption wing of Tirunelveli district filed charge sheets against the former vice chancellor, and Dr S.P. Denishia, the former associate professor, DD&CE (B.Ed) on June 8. Sudalai Kannu however demanded to include seven others, including the former registrar of the university, Mr. Manickam and the former director of DD&CE, Dr Ayyakannu in the case.