Maggi vanishes from Benagluru school meals

At Sri Lal Bahadur Shastri School on Magadi road, Maggi was banned on day one itself

Bengaluru: The raging controversy over the presence of lead and monosodium glutamate (MSG) in Maggi has now forced the schools to act swiftly. Following the media coverage over the issue, tens of schools in the city have issued advisories to the parents and children to avoid the use of Maggi in particular and junk food in general.

At Sri Lal Bahadur Shastri School on Magadi road, Maggi was banned on day one itself. The school management is individually checking the tiffin boxes of all the students. Speaking to this newspaper, Mr. Sathyanarayana, Chairman of the school informed that if they found students with Maggi in their tiffin, they would take it away and arrange an alternative lunch for them. “Students and parents are also cooperating with us. An advisory had been issued against bringing Maggi to school, long back.” he explained.

But Shastri School is not the only school which has banned Maggi products after the controversy had erupted. Associated Managements of Government, Recoginsed English Medium Schools in Karnataka (KAMS) an umbrella body of private unaided schools of the state has also directed its member schools to discourage students from bringing Maggi to school.

Speaking to this newspaper, Mr. D Shashikumar informed that all the member schools were intimated about the laboratory reports and that the ban would continue till the health department gave a clean chit to Maggi products. But in many elite schools of the city, Maggi was taken off the menu-list long back.