SFI to launch study circles in all colleges, varsities

Condemns Modi government for denying freedom of expression granted by the constitution

Chennai: To show solidarity and protest the ban of Ambedkar Periyar Study Circle in IIT-Madras, the Students’ Federation of India (SFI) has launched a campaign to open study circles in the name of social crusaders in all the state universities and colleges.“To take forward progressive ideals among students in the universities and colleges, we have decided to create new study circles in the names of leaders like Ambedkar, Periyar, Bhagat Singh, Jeevanandam, Karl and Che Guevara. In the land of social justice, we appeal to the students to open thousands of study circles,” SFI state president P. Uchimakali said.

He said the study circle in IIT-Madras was banned by the administration due to the direct intervention of the Union human resource development ministry based on an anonymous complaint that they had criticised Narendra Modi government and hurt the feelings of Hindus.“We condemn the Modi government for denying freedom of expression granted by the Constitution,” he said in a statement.

The Ambedkar Periyar Study Circle was banned despite the functioning of several such study circles to discuss various subjects including social, political and economy in higher education institutions across the country.“Even in IIT–M, there are several study circles including one named after Vivekananda, to discuss Hindus and Hindutuva issues. They are allowed to function. But they banned APSC which debates caste oppression and social justice,” said the SFI leader.

“We will the action of IIT-Madras to de-recognise APSC as it tries to promote upper caste domination while denying democratic rights of students. We demand the IIT-Madras withdraw the ban,” he demanded.