'Efforts being made to politicise student body derecognition'

Students' sentiments should not be played with and that they should not be instigated, says BJP

Chennai: BJP on Saturday charged that efforts were being made to 'politicise' the derecognition of a students group by the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras and urged political parties and others not to 'instigate' students.

BJP's Tamil Nadu unit president Tamizhisai Sounderrajan said that the premier technical institute had made it clear that the derecognition of Ambedkar Periyar Study Circle was done for 'violating' the code of conduct and that it was not against freedom of expression.

"Students should not fall prey to efforts to politicise this issue by some persons with ulterior motives and that too by invoking the names of leaders (Ambedkar and Periyar) we respect," she said.

She urged that students' sentiments should not be played with and that they should not be instigated. Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani had backed IIT's action, saying it has clearly stated that some procedures by the students' organisation was not followed and it knew that

Dean will derecognise it for violating norms. The move had triggered protests from Congress and AAP. Scores of NSUI workers yesterday protested outside Irani's official residence in Delhi over the issue.

The state BJP chief hit out at arch rival Congress, its Vice President Rahul Gandhi and state chief E V K S Elangovan for criticising the Centre on this issue, saying 'those who stifled freedom of expression by imposing Emergency' cannot 'create confusion' on this matter by their utterances.

"It is unacceptable that Gandhi or Elangovan can politicise this issue for their benefit. IIT students should also realise that others in the state are also politicising this issue, creating a roadblock for their education," she said in a statement.

( Source : PTI )