Joyous day for Chennai as CBSE class 12 topper scores 494 out of 500

Tamil Nadu registered a pass percentage of 97.06 per cent
Chennai: S. Nishok Kumar from DAV Senior Secondary School, Mogappair, one of the top scorers from Tamil Nadu in CBSE class XII exam wants to become an entrepreneur to develop mobile applications. Nishok Kumar who scored 494 on 500 studied in the computer science stream in the senior secondary.
“Right from my childhood computers and internet were my attraction. I have developed a few applications in the past. I want to join computer science engineering in one of the IITs. I did not sit for a long time to study but made sure I focussed all the time on study,” a jubilant Kumar said.
Pointing out that he studied for six hours a day, he said that Maths and Physics were tough for him as the papers were lengthy and complex. “These subjects had a lot of application related questions, which consumed more time,” Kumar, who scored 10/10 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) in class X and 298/360 in JEE (mains) added. He dedicated his success to his parents P.M.Sundaressan and S.Sivasundari, besides his teachers.
S. Atul Sudarshan, a student of Modern senior secondary school, Nanganallur secured 493/500 marks and he wants to study chemical or mechanical engineering in National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy.
“I like chemistry a lot, which makes me look out for chemical engineering in college. Several of my seniors suggest that NIT Trichy has better scope for engineering. Now I have taken JEE (advanced) and depending upon my score I would prefer IIT Madras,” he said, adding that he felt all subjects to be easy in the exam.
His mother Janaki Sainath says that her son was so much focussed that even when they watched television it did not disturb his studies.
State registers 97.06 pass percentage:
Tamil Nadu registered an overall pass percentage of 97.06 per cent, next to Puducherry, which has a pass percentage of 98.36 in the Chennai region CBSE class XII exams this year. The overall pass percentage across the country was 82 per cent, marginally lower than last year's 82.70 per cent.
Several students and schools complained that the CBSE’s website for class XII and X results was slow and had even allegedly crashed for some time on Monday when the board declared the class XII results. Students heaved a sigh of relief when their agonising wait ended with the Board declaring the results on Monday. Several students were in a fix as they were not able to apply for colleges because the results were delayed this year.
Of the 11,902 students 11,552 from 180 schools in Tamil Nadu cleared the exam with girls outshining boys (96.61 per cent) with a pass percentage of 97.7 per cent. Students who want to apply for revaluation/challenge for particular questions only in theory paper can apply online from June 18 to June 24.
The compartment exam will take place on July 16. A total of 62 students failed in more than one subject in the exam and 288 did not crack only one subject; apart from this 37 did not take up the exam.
Movement disorder fails to deter Vidhi from writing exam:
Vidhi Maheshwari, a victim of Task Specific Dystonia, a movement disorder, secured 490 marks on 500 at the CBSE class XII examination. A student of Chettinad Vidyashram in the city, Maheshwari had the option to use a scribe during the examination but she chose to write the exam on her own. The ailment does not allow Maheshwari to write for more than 30 minutes. CBSE accorded her permission to write the papers for an additional half to one hour.
Maheshwari has been under medication for the past one year. “Last year I could not attempt the exams as I was just diagnosed with the disorder. I attempted the test this year,” she said. Typically, she would write the answers for about 30 minutes and then take a five-minute break before she resumed writing. “I owe it to my teachers, who assisted me with class notes as my right hand does not function fully,” Maheshwari said.
She plans to take up chartered accountancy as a career option. “I am considering lot of options. I like economics as a subject so I am deliberating between CA and an under-graduate in Economics,” she said. Maheshwari’s mother Reena said her daughter was confident and insistent on attempting the CBSE XII examinations on her own without the help of a scribe.