Karnataka PU results: Students continue protest, but officials give convincing answers

Officials could finally give satisfactory answers to the questions raised by the students

Bengaluru: Continuing their protests for the fifth day, tens of students affiliated to an organisation protested in front of the Pre-University Department on Saturday morning. But the department, which was facing the ire of the students for “error-filled marks cards”, could finally give satisfactory answers to the questions raised by the students on alleged discrepancies in the valuation process. Officials said that they are now busy dispatching the photocopies of the answer scripts.

The students said that five major problems being faced by them are different results on different websites, zero marks (absent) in language papers when they were in fact present, non-awarding of grace marks in physics, failing in one of the optional subjects though candidates have secured high marks in rest of the three subjects, wrong entry of languages attended and non-display of results. But officials made it clear that most of these issues have been resolved.

Department officials said to clear any optional subject, a student has to secure a minimum of 21 marks in theory paper, which has 70 as the maximum marks. But many students have secured 30 out of 30 in practicals, but less than 21 in theory. Results of such students have been withheld. In 2012, results of 800 such students were withheld, while in 2014, this number was 550. This year it has gone down further to 147 students. “But the students who are well aware of the rules are misleading the parents causing anxiety among them,” the officials said.

On the wrong results announced on www.resultsat.com and www.resultsout.com, belonging to HT Media, Primary and Secondary Education Minister Kimmane Rathnakar said, “Correct results were published in all colleges on Wednesday and they are available on karresults.nic.in which is the official website of the education department,” said an officer. Many students alleged that though they attended the examination, they had been marked absent in the marks cards. The officials said that those students who have entered wrong subject code are facing this problem.

If the problem is not rectified, they can approach the authorities, they said. The department has decided to award nine marks to the wrong questions that appeared in the mathematics paper, and the marks are not given to those students who have not attempted these questions. “Students can confirm this by applying for photocopies,” an officer said. On the allegation by some students that they had secured low marks in only one of the three optional subjects, an officer said, “Students can get a clear picture if they get photocopies of the answer scripts. If they get more than six marks in revaluation, their amount will be returned,” said an officer.

Officials blamed students for entering wrong codes and registration numbers for entering wrong marks under languages. “This problem is being faced by only a handful of students. But it is found that they had either entered wrong subject code or wrong roll number. It is difficult to trace such answer scripts. We have started the process,” an officer said.

The main allegation of parents was that the helpline number 080-23083900 was not working. As May 25 is the last date to apply for photocopies, Bengaluru One centers witnessed a heavy rush. Members of the BJP Youth Wing too joined the protest, demanding an immediate solution to the problems. They alleged that Primary and Secondary Education Minister Kimmane Rathnakar is responsible for the present fiasco.

7 colleges get notice

The Pre-University Department has issued notices to seven city colleges over zero pass percentage. Sources said Pavan PU college, Shrirampura, SHL Evening College, Yelahanka Newtown, Cowdeshwari PU College, Ittamadu, AET PU College, Sarjapur Road, St. Joseph College, Bommanahalli, Grom PU College, HAL, and S Hearing Impact PU College, Udayanagar had been served notices. “In all, 48 colleges were served notices by the department,” an officer said.