Karnataka PU results: Protests continue near PU office

Hundreds of students and their parents staged a dharna for the fourth day on Friday

Bengaluru: Hundreds of students and their parents staged a dharna in front of the Pre-University Department office in Malleswaram for the fourth day on Friday. With the JD(S) students’ wing, ABVP and SDPI also joining the protesters, the PU Department office witnessed some dramatic scenes.

The protests against mistakes in second PU marks cards are being held since Tuesday. Members of the ABVP and JD(S) students’ wing too joined the dharna in front of the office that started around 9.30 am. By the time the police arrived at the spot, already over 500 students and their parents had started the protest. The protesters have been demanding action against erring officials and immediate rectification of their marks cards.

The protesters tried to storm the building several times throughout the day, but were beaten back by the police. A JD(S) activist, who managed to enter the reception area of the office posing as a party leader, shouted slogans against the department. The police took him away immediately.

The police and journalists were involved in a verbal duel as officials didn't allow journalists to enter the building, where former chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy and former BJP minister S. Suresh Kumar were holding discussion with PU Department officials.

The protest took an ugly turn when Vaishali, a student of Ambedkar College in the city, fainted while shouting slogans against the department. Her friends said that Vaishali, who has secured first class in all subjects, has been failed in one subject. “She had refused to eat for the last three days. She is from a poor family and has no money to apply for revaluation," one of her friends said. Vaishali was rushed to KC General Hospital.

Ms Sheela, mother of Bhumika – a II PU science student, sustained injuries in the hand when police and agitating students were involved in a fight. She was rushed to a nearby clinic. Bhumika said though she had secured good marks in all subjects, she got only 42 in physics.

Vaishnavi, a student from Vijayanagar Junior College, alleged that though she has an aggregate of 80 in all the subjects, she has got only 20 and 12 marks in mathematics and physics. Sinchana of Vijaya Junior College alleged that she has also secured only 12 in physics, but has got very good marks in all other subjects, she said.The police had made elaborate security arrangements around the office and allowed only those with II PU hall tickets to enter the premises.

Former CM H.D.Kumaraswamy speaking to agitating students and their parents in Bengaluru on Friday (Photo: DC)

Fishing in troubled waters Mr HDK?

Janata Dal (Secular) leader and former chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy, former BJP minister S. Suresh Kumar and AAP leader Ravikrishna Reddy were embarrassed when they tried to prove that PU lecturers had erred while evaluating the answerscripts.

The leaders arrived at the Pre-University Department office to seek clarification from the officials on allegations of erratic valuation. When the officials denied the allegations, the leaders gave the registration number of a student, who had alleged erratic valuation, errors in totalling of the marks and skipping of grace marks.

The Pre-University Board officials took up the challenge and decided to valuate the paper of the student in front of the leaders. The revaluation proved that right marks had been awarded and that there was no truth in the allegations. Leaders then requested the officials to ensure better coordination and to inform students properly to end the protests.

Later, Mr Kumaraswamy, told the students that he personally saw the revaluation work and nothing was amiss. “I requested Primary and Secondary Education Minister Kimmane Rathnakar to arrange for free revaluation considering this year's developments. “Officials assured me that they would clear revaluation applications and ensure justice to CET students,” he said.

Mix-up

He also took a dig at a private website which mixed up the results creating confusion among students. “I have asked officials to act strictly against those responsible for the fiasco,” he said.

Complaint against website

The PU Department has lodged a complaint against a website that published wrong results. The department has requested the cyber police to block the website, and the cyber police are expected to file an FIR.

Though Primary and Secondary Education Minister Kimmane Rathnakar announced dedicated helplines to allow students to lodge complaints, one of the numbers does not exist.

Many students alleged that though PU Department officials had said that photocopies of the answer scripts would be given to them within 48 hours of filing the application, they are yet to receive them even after three days.