Telangana SSC pass percentage falls by 8 per cent

CCE introduced and will be a good system in the long run, says Kadiam Srihari

Hyderabad: Pass percentage in the first SSC exams in Telangana fell by nearly 8 per cent over the previous year in the region. Government schools also fared poorly in the exams held this March with a pass percentage of just 63 while more than 82 per cent of students studying in private schools cleared the exams.

Deputy Chief Minister Kadiam Srihari on Sunday admitted that the results were poorer this year but said that the government had eliminated the possibility of rote learning this year and students had to apply their minds while answering the questions.

About 1,387 out of the total 5.13 lakh students who wrote the exam scored a 10 GPA. About 158 of them were from Sri Chaitanya Schools, making it the highest tally from one institution. As many as 448 students of the institution scored 9.8 GPA and 1297 students scored a GPA above 9.5.

Last year, the cumulative pass percentage for the 10 districts of Telangana had been 85. This year, however, about 77.56 per cent of all students who appeared for the SSC exams in TS passed, recording a slump of nearly 8 per cent over 2014.

Private schools, expectedly, performed better than government schools, but even their results dropped this year. “This time the important issue was that we contained malpractices in exams. And there was no scope for rote learning. Students had to think and apply their minds while writing the exam,” Mr Srihari said.

“The CCE system has also been introduced. There are some problems, but it is a good system in the long term. The pass percentage has also decreased this year to 77 because of the system we put in place since students have to think and write. But we are satisfied with the results,” he added.

English-medium students fared slightly better than Telugu-medium students. Students had reported that some of the subjects like maths and physics were difficult. This also reflected in the results with just 2.4 per cent of all students scoring an A1 grade in general sciences while only 6.05 per cent scored A1 in Maths.