After class, University of Hyderabad students teach underprivileged kids

As many as 50 students have taken part in this initiative

Hyderabad: A group of students of the University of Hyderabad are taking time out after classes everyday to educate underprivileged children

The group from various faculties in the university conduct classes in English, Hindi, Telugu and Maths for children of construction labourers working in the university.

Priyanka Manikandan, one of the volunteers, said, “The labourers are from different states. Though there is a government school near the university, many cannot send their children there because the medium of teaching is Telugu. Also, as they are migrant labourers they cannot send their kids permanently to one school.”

She added, “We make groups of students depending on the language they understand. The classes are usually conducted after we gather in a veranda at around 4.30 pm and continue for about two hours.”

The underprivileged students are also taken around inside the university where games are conducted and the children are taught about the flora and fauna of the campus.
The children are also involved in music and dance, making learning fun.

The education campaign, ‘Each One Teach One’ was started by Nidheesh Kumar, a communication student in January this year. As many as 50 students have taken part in this initiative and 30 underprivileged students have graduated from the classes of these UoH students.

Ms Priyanka said, “Some of the parents even promised us that they will admit their kids in schools once they go back to their hometowns.”