SSLC results mess long in the making

Software glitches ignored from beginning

Kochi: The chaos that followed the declaration of SSLC results on Monday was no bolt from the blue, it was long in the making instead.

The Pareeskaha Bhavan, organisers of the flagship programme of the education department, got it wrong from the beginning itself.

The first to go wrong was the preparation of ‘A list’ which contains mandatory data of students including name, address, date of birth, caste and religion, that are crucial in one’s lifetime.

The data was available on Sampoorna, the software of the Education Department, but problems cropped up when this was embedded in the software which the Pareeksha Bhavan newly introduced this year.

Software developers and officials of the Pareeksha Bhavan paid scant attention when teachers who entered the data in January pointed out the discrepancies that crept into the process to them.

When DC reported on the erroneous process and sought his response, Education Minister Abdu Rabb said he was busy with the State School Kalolsavam at Kozhikode.

The wrong entries had the students running helter-skelter when they downloaded their hall tickets in February. The Pareeksha Bhavan, however, went ahead allotting register numbers for students without correcting the errors.

The sequence of the register numbers also got jumbled then, forcing the Pareeksha Bhavan to repeatedly change them.

The process also resulted in complex and serious issues in uploading the continuous and comprehensive evaluation (CCE) marks of students along with their photos.

Pareeksha Bhavan went ahead with the examination process including tabulation with the wrong data of students.

The online uploading of theory marks from 54 evaluation camps in the state was in trouble right from beginning. It was pointed out that evaluators could not mark students ‘absent’ in the software.

There was no provision in the software for the camp supervisor or score supervisor to verify the entered score. In case of duplication, the teachers had to call the Pareeksha Bhavan and stand in the virtual queue for more than two days to rectify it.

The education department’s callousness has landed the prestigious process in an unprecedented mess and has thrown thousands of students and their parents into absolute confusion and shock.