Technical colleges face heat on admission

TS to test authenticity of certificates

Hyderabad: There’s more trouble in store for private engineering colleges in Telangana as the government is preparing grounds to put them on notice for faulty admissions last year.

The TS government is verifying the qualifications of students admitted to engineering colleges last year under the management quota and has found hundreds were admitted using the equivalency certificates purportedly issued by the Board of Intermediate Education (BIE).

The AP government had issued showcause notices to many engineering colleges on the same premise. The TS government has come upon many students admitted from states like Bihar, Jharkhand and the North-East.

Officials say college managements admit these students under the management quota since the governments of their states offer fees reimbursement to students even if they are admitted in colleges under management quota in other states.

Many admissions, thought to be made by using fake certificates, have also come to the notice of officials of the TS State Council of Higher Education that is currently in the process of ratifying admissions.

“There are many students admitted with equivalency certificates. We have to verify with the Intermediate Board as to how many of these certificates are genuine,” said TSCHE secretary N. Srinivasa Rao.

Equivalency certificates are issued by the BIE in case the student in question is not of the BIE here. It generally issues certificates to students from any of the Boards listed by the Council of Boards of School Education in India.

Officials are now trying to ascertain whether the 12th pass certificates of the Board and the equivalency certificates submitted by students are genuine.

Recently, the AP government had cancelled 788 admissions in engineering colleges as they were based on fake certificates and admissions were made by violating rules.

"In colleges in some of the border districts like Nalgonda, Khammam and Mahbubnagar, most of the students are from other states. How is it possible that they outnumber local students, in view of the existing laws?" a senior TSCHE official asked.

( Source : amar tejaswi )