Unique curriculum turns IIIT into a research hub

Academic curriculum of Institute is turning it into a research hub for robotics and computer related subjects

Tada (Nellore): Post bifurcation, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Sri City, which has been mentored on the lines of IIIT-Hyderabad, has turned into a research hub with industrial exposure. IIIT-Sri City, has become a one-of-its-kind institute in Andhra Pradesh, after IIIT-Hyderabad, went to Telangana. Located in an industrial area, the unique academic curriculum of the institute is turning it into a research hub for robotics and other computer and electronics related subjects.

Students and faculty are already involved in developing various robots that respond to voice instructions and can recognise tones like a baby’s cry or shouts etc. Vinay Kumar Mittal, IIIT professor, has already struck a deal with a company that will back the “Shout Recognition” project. Prof. Mittal told this newspaper that the “Baby Cry” project has been introduced recently. “The project is completely based on Speech Signal Processing concept. The robot listens to the sound made by the baby and is able to discern the reason behind it. It might be because of hunger, pain or anything else,” he said.

Prof. Mittal said that several inputs were taken from various babies and their usual reactions with the help of local paediatricians. Competing with the faculty, first and second year engineering students of the institu-te too submitted papers on robotics projects. N.S. Chinmayi, Ch. Haritha, B. Sharvya, Sathoshini, Shreya, Aishwarya N.R., Preeti and Kiran Kumar of ECE and CSE, the only streams in the institute, worked on projects like PID-controlled precession robot, voice controlled robot for the visually-challenged etc.

“We are able to work on subjects like robotics just because of the curriculum we have. We get hands-on experience as practicals are part of our subjects from the very first semester,” said Kiran Kumar, a second year ECE student. The institute, which is about to shift to a new building, is likely to increase the intake in next academic year from 100 to over 150.