Andhra Pradesh government's skill centres to train students in developing apps

The programme already has over 650 students from 98 colleges

Hyderabad: Aiming to promote innovation among students, the Andhra Pradesh government will launch 17 skill development centres across the state tomorrow where students from colleges and universities would take part in developing mobile apps and other skills.

Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu will launch a skill development centre in Vijayawada tomorrow, an initiative touted to be the first of its kind in the country. Other skill development centres would be launched electronically.

The programme, initiated a month back, already has over 650 students from 98 colleges who have developed nearly 3,000 apps (both utility and business apps).

Some of these mobile applications will eventually be absorbed for e-governance in Andhra Pradesh, a state government release said.

The initiative is part of the government's efforts in creating entrepreneurs who have a unique opportunity to lead the world in innovation.

The skill development centres, which are set up under the Andhra Pradesh State Skill Development Corporation (APSSDC), have app developers and experts from software giants like Microsoft and other companies who are training students in mobile app development.

According to APSSDC CEO Ganta Subbarao, "Mobile apps have drastically changed the way users interact with brands. This programme of the government is bringing out the hidden talent among our students. There is so much energy and enthusiasm among them."

The APSSDC is aiming at training 5,000 students by April-May this year and 20,000 by August-September. Students pursuing any course (not necessarily technology related) can enrol in the programme.

The aim is to encourage students with interests in various fields to develop a gamut of apps, ranging from technology, agriculture, governance, beauty, fashion to emergency services, among others, the release said.

The colleges enrolled with the APSSDC can be a part of this programme and encourage their students to get trained at skill development centres.

At a later stage, the state will also hold hackathons that will be an open platform for app developers to compete with one another and come up with several innovative ideas.

The skill development centres would be established at various technical institutes in the state to train the students in skill development courses and particularly the 'app building programme', according to a government release issued in Vijayawada.

( Source : PTI )