UGC mandates all universities to have grading system for semesters beginning 2015-16

The move is expected to streamline the education system in a common manner

Mumbai: The University Grants Commission has mandated all universities to introduce a grading system for semesters commencing from 2015-16. The move is expected to cover almost 400 universities in the country.

Systemizing the examinations and establishing a semester pattern for the curriculum was also one of the moves the UGC has asked all universities to take up with immediate effect.

Most universities in the country follow a numerical pattern of grading their students. Barring a few, who follow a semester pattern and grade their students.

The current measure is expected to offer students more learning opportunities and allowing them a smooth movement across all academic institutions under the university’s purview.

The grading system will be as follows:

Marks : Grade

90.1-100 : O (Outstanding)

80.1-90s : A+ (Excellent)

70.1-80 : A (Very Good)

60.1-70 : B+ (Good)

50.1-60 : B (Above Average)

50-55 : C (Average)

40-50 : P (Pass)

Note :- F (Failed Candidates); Ab (Absentees)

The system of introducing a grade-based marking system will take the focus off only numerical achievements and prevent discrimination among students on the basis of marks.

The commission has stipulated all universities to implement the choice-based credit system (CBCS) as well as credit framework for skill development (CFSD).

Under CBCS, students will pursue three types of courses - foundation, elective and core. Students must pursue core subjects every semester, and can pick electives from a pool of subjects unrelated to their disciplines. The elective courses will be value-based.