Credit system in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana State universities soon

These would be in addition to the compulsory subjects

Hyderabad: The Telangana state and Andhra Pradesh are likely to implement the Choice Based Credit System in universities from the upcoming academic year. The Centre has exhorted states to implement the credits system in universities and indicated that it should be done from the 2015-16 academic year. The University Grants Commission too has written to universities across the country asking them to implement the system.

However, sources said the system would only be implemented in phases, as and when existing loopholes are plugged.

“The CBCS offers students the choice of studying subjects of their choice. Like history can be studied by engineering students. Under the system, if a course requires 100 credits for its completion, 60 credits would be for compulsory subjects. The remaining credits can be used by students to study other elective subjects of their interest,” a senior official TS education department explained.

However, sources said that the Centre has been informed of the existing loopholes in the system.

“The lack of adequate faculty, inertia from universities, requisite training are some of the problems. The HRD ministry said it will provide training, if needed,” sources said. If diverse elective courses are to be offered at the same place, then the faculty to teach them will also be needed.

The universities have also been asked to facilitate immediate implementation of credit framework. However, the flexibility for students to complete a course at their own pace will not be offered now.