Campus violence victim dies

The victim was clubbed ruthlessly with wooden logs in a clash between two groups of students

Coimbatore: Ghastly campus violence has claimed the life of a 21-year-old engineering student of Karpagam University in Coimbatore on Wednesday morning. The student, B. Karthikeyan, was clubbed ruthlessly with wooden logs in a clash between two groups of students on the Karpagam University campus on the Pollachi road near Eachanaari on Monday.

The boy, who was battling for life at a private hospital, breathed his last around 10 am on Wednesday. “The student died due to brain stem dysfunction,” a spokesman of the private hospital said.
Following Karthikeyan's death, hundreds of students gathered at Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital where his body was brought for post- mortem.

Karthikeyan's inconsolable father told reporters at CMCH that college management had not informed him about the murderous attack on his son. "We send our children for studying. But there is no care or protection for them in the college," said Balusamy, between sobs. Karthikeyan, a native of R. Pudhupatti in Rasipuram in Namakkal district was in the fourth year of the B.E. mechanical engineering course. He was clubbed with wooden logs by six students outside his college in a group clash between the final year students of mechanical engineering and computer science and automobile course.

Karthikeyan sustained three internal brain injuries in the brutal attack. The police have arrested four students, P Sathyanarayanan, 21 and M Naveen Kumar, 21, from Madurai, V. Mervin, 21, from Chennai, and M. Vinodh, 21 from Krishnagiri district. They were booked under sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting with deadly weapons), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 341 (wrongful restraint) and 307 (attempted murder) of the IPC. After Karthikeyan's death, the police have altered the section to murder (section 302 IPC). Police have launched a search for two more students K Aravind Kannan, 21, of Chennai and S.Sivaprakash, 23, from Theni district.