Fear of dubious judges at Kalotsav

Parents have demanded fair assessment for the competitions

KOZHIKODE: With just 19 days left for the 55th state school kalotsavam, a section of parents is wary of the judges with dubious records on the panel of various competitions, mainly dance-related.

According to some teachers here, the results have already been manipulated during the sub-district kalotsavam scheduled from December 27 to January 1 to push certain candidates as favourites for the state festival.

“In dance competitions, the results are influenced by money and other favours,” said Shivaram Payyoli, a dance teacher. “We already have information that certain judges have sold out the first prizes for dance items for Rs. 2 lakh each and the bargaining for the second and third prizes is underway,” he added.

Parents have demanded fair assessment for the competitions. “We know that parents and various dance teachers have already ‘purchased’ the judges of the main events.

We have been told about this by dance schools which are busy preparing students for the competitions. This is being unfair to talented students,” Swarna Unnikrishna, parent of a high school student, said.

Mr L. Rajan, DPI in-charge, told DC that complaints of favouritism and rigging of results were common during such events.

“The DPI will take strict action against all those who come up with unwanted controversies regarding the appointment of judges. We are just half way through the selection of judges.

So those who create controversies will have to face action. We will keep out dubious judges from the panel and those showing favouritism will be punished,” he added.

He said the judges would not be allowed to carry mobile phones and their actions would be monitored by the officials of IT @ School.