Professor acquitted in foisted ganja case

State government has been asked to pay compensation of Rs one lakh

Chennai: A professor of a private engineering college in Vellore district , who was jailed for about 15 days this year after a false case of possessing one and a half kilogrammes of ganja was foisted on him by the police, has been cleared of all charges by the Madras High Court. Quashing the FIR filed against Prof. T V Velliyangiri , Justice S. Nagamuthu has now directed the state government to pay a compensation of one lakh to him and cautioned the police against making such errors in future.

Disposing of the petitions from Prof. Velliyangiri and his wife , V Devi, the judge said the government must pay compensation because the professor was falsely implicated and detained in prison for no fault of his, and had suffered great mental agony in the process.

Justice Nagamuthu passed the order based on the report of superintendent of police M. Sudhakar of Coimbatore, who was appointed by the court to look into the case.The police officer found the professor had been falsely charged by an inspector and kept in illegal custody from September 7 to 11. “The question of pardoning Inspector Gopala Krishnan is not in the hands of this court. He is a government servant and therefore it is for it to decide about the future course of action to be taken against him,” the judge added.