KSHRC directs SF college to pay back tuition fee

Subsequently, she approached KSHRC with the complaint

Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala State Human Rights Commission (KSHRC) has directed Lourdes Matha Engineering College, Kuttichal , a self financing engineering college, to return tuition fee to a student who had shifted to another college.

According to the complaint filed by a girl student, a native of Nalanchira here to KSHRC, though she got admitted to Lourde Matha first, she later joined Mar Baselios Engineering College, Nalanchira.

Following this, she approached Lourde Matha college authorities and requested them to return the Rs 1,17,225 paid in advance as tuition fee which they refused.

Subsequently, she approached KSHRC with the complaint. When Commission Chairman Justice J B Koshy sought an explanation from the college on the matter they said they had provided the original certificates to the student for joining the new college.

They also gave an assurance that they would return the amount if the student gave a written request. Following the assurance, the case was closed by the chairman.

As per the prospectus of the engineering admissions, students who got admissions to an allotment in private self-financing engineering / architecture colleges after the third phase should invariably join the colleges.

Otherwise, the liquidated damages envisaged as per Clause 12.2.4 of the prospectus shall be imposed on such students.