Imam Siddique, Neha Dhupia in a fight!

Stylist tries to ‘teach’ the meaning of “Haute Couture” to some of India’s best designers

Stylist and reality TV star Imam Siddique ruffled a few feathers at the Max Design Awards 2014, Student Edition, in Mumbai, which featured celebs such as Ashish Soni, Gaurav Gupta, Neha Dhupia, Masaba Gupta and Marc Robinson.

When Neha asked a student the meaning of Haute Couture (meaning “made to measure”), Imam got up, interrupted and told the judges: “You guys do not know the meaning of the term. You guys are laughing amongst yourselves…”

To this, Neha calmly said, “If you are done, can I proceed with my job?”

This got Imam more agitated and he went on to explain the term in detail, little realising that he was doing this in front of the top four designers of the country. Neha just said, “In this case you may feel free to use the door… we have two of them.” Imam later says, “I always get tangled in controversies… When I complimented Neha saying, ‘You look beautiful, whose dress are you wearing?’ She could not name the designer. Arre kiska dress pehna hai woh bhi usse malum nahi (she doesn’t even know whose dress she is wearing).”

The issue that set Imam off initially was that the students were mispronouncing “Haute Couture” and the judges on the dais were giggling at them. “It was not only me, but another family in the audience also felt that the students were being mocked. And, therefore, I got up and defended the students.”

Neha Dhupia, on the other hand, refused to comment. She said, “I have said what I had to… I do not want to say anything more.”