Telangana government firms to train engineering students to increase the employability

Nearly 53,000 students joined engineering colleges this year in Telangana

Hyderabad: The Telangana government wants industries to increase the employability of engineering students by training them as part of their course. With industry groups apprising the government of the low employability of engineering graduates the government is focusing on increasing the quality of technical education.

As part of this Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao has asked officials to ensure that all engineering students train in industries and also carry out their mandatory project work in industries.

“Employability of engineering students should be increased while they are studying. They should be trained by industries where they will get an understanding of the actual work that goes on. This will prepare them for the future,” KCR recently told officials of the technical department.

Officials also said the government is keen on at least making students carry out their project work in industries. Currently, students need not have to do their project work in industries and can do it in their colleges itself. Most students, in fact, purchase readymade project reports and submit them in their colleges without actually doing any work.

“The Chief Minister wants that in the beginning, at least, students should complete their projects in industries. This will give them a big boost. Further there can be training in industries but we have to work it out. Industries are also ready for this,” senior officials said.

However, the sticking point could be the huge number of students that study in engineering colleges.

Nearly 53,000 students joined engineering colleges this year in Telangana. To allot them to industries specific to their stream would be extremely tough.

For instance, the number of students doing electronics engineering is one of the highest but there is hardly any industry in the state that recruits electronics engineers. Only a few public sector companies like BSNL specialise in electronics and it would be difficult to accommodate such a huge number of students in it.