Students and locals ransack Pragathi Mahavidyalaya college

Victim’s family and friends protest, accused booked for murder

Hyderabad: The Pragathi Mahavidyalaya college in Koti was on a boil on Sunday afternoon as students and locals went on a rampage while protesting with the body of murdered student Harshavardhan Rao.

The protesters were upset as the college principal and management refused to pay homage to the victim and did not respond to the issue. A police team intervened in the matter and sent the protesters to the funeral ground after pacifying them.

Meanwhile, the Sultan Bazar police picked up accused Satish Kodkar for questioning. The police had booked a murder case against him on Saturday after he had assaulted Harshavardhan, his junior.

The students of Pragathi Mahavidyalaya alleged that principal T.V. Rao and other faculty members had behaved irresponsibly towards the issue. “It was necessary to take the body to the college to pay homage. However, when we reached the college, the gate was locked. We called our principal and management several times, but none of them were ready to come,” said a student from the college.

Grief struck family and friends of the victim accompanied the body to the funeral ground once the tension dissipated with the intervention of the cops.

Meanwhile, few students said that the accused Satish had the habit of picking up quarrels with his juniors due to his arrogance. “The fight could have been well avoided. It was Harshavardhan’s right to question when Satish misbehaved with the girls. Since Satish was arrogant, he could not take the humiliation,” said a student.

Harshavardhan was planning to pursue MBA after finishing college and start a business. “Though his family was not in a financial crunch, he used to work at the Apollo medical pharmacy in order to get some work experience,” said one of his cousins.

A pall of gloom hung over Harshavardhan’s house in Tilak Road as his parents, K.S. Narsing Rao and Jayashree remained inconsolable .

Satish, a B. Com final year student, had punched Harshavardhan when he had tried to stop him from harassing a girl student in the college.