19-year-old student beaten to death in Hyderabad

He tried to stop a senior from harassing a girl student

Hyderabad: A BCom second year student was allegedly beaten to death by his senior at Pragathi Mahavidyalaya, Koti, on Saturday, when he tried to stop him from harassing a girl student.

The accused, Satish Kodkar, 22, got enraged, when the victim, K.S. Harshavardhan Rao, 19, asked him not to tease girls from his class. Satish punched the victim twice, who fell on the ground after hitting his head on the edge of a bench. An unconscious Harshavardhan succumbed to his injuries at Nampally Care Hospital a few hours after the incident. Doctors say a grievous internal injury in his head caused the death.

According to the students, the incident occurred during lunch break inside Harshavardhan’s classroom. Satish, who is a final year student in the college, had teased a girl from Harshavardhan’s class in the morning. As the girl was his friend, he confronted Satish “Satish got angry, and there was a spat. However, he did not do anything then,” said a student.

“Later, during lunch break, Satish came to Harshavardhan’s class while he was sitting with a few boys and girls, and picked up a fight. Satish hit him once on the chest and once on his neck. The victim’s head hit the edge of a bench before falling to the ground. He fell unconscious, and later died in the hospital,” said Mr Ravula Giridhar, Sultan Bazaar ACP.

Satish was angry and wanted to ‘settle the matter with his junior. “Before attacking him Satish shouted ‘how dare you question you senior’,” said the ACP.