Many seats for self-finance Andhra University law course lie vacant

The self-finance course was introduced this year and many students were unaware of it

Visakhapatnam: The glorious identity of Andhra University’s Dr BR Ambedkar College of Law, of being alma mater for many chief justices, senior advocates and well known politicians failed to attract admission seekers this year.

A whopping 73 seats are lying vacant in the college after admissions concluded through the Law Common Entrance Test (LawCET).

Of the 73 vacant seats 25 are vacant in the LL.B three and five years graduation courses and remaining 48 are vacant in the LL.M post graduation course which has five specialised branches in the college.
Most of the vacant seats lie in self-finance category. Of the 116 self-finance seats 59 are vacant whereas the in regular quota is 15 of 90 seats are vacant. Two specialisations of the LLM course, International Law and Human Rights Law, did not find any takers as all the 20 self-financed seats lie vacant.

When asked about the issue to the AU Law College, Principal, Prof. D. Surya Prakasa Rao, he said, “Regular seats have been almost filled. Self-finance category in LLM was introduced just this year because of which not many students knew about it. Another reason is that due to state bifurcation admissions got delayed by months because of which many students might have applied for private universities or colleges in AP or other states. We are getting many enthusiastic queries from aspirants about Monday’s spot admissions of vacant seats.”

However, a former AU Law College Principal says, “Andhra University’s law department earlier never faced the issue of seats not being filled. Law students used to prefer Andhra University over Osmania University and getting admission into AU’s law department was a tough challenge. It is sad that seats are lying vacant now. Many talented students are preferring other colleges and universities. A main reason behind this is the lack of enough teaching faculty in the department along with poor infrastructure. No recruitments have taken place since years in the department.” As of now the university has just 10 teaching members whereas the sanctioned positions are 18.