PT teacher roughs up boy, kin retaliate

Student not attacked, says correspondent
Chennai: High drama prevailed at Loyola Matriculation School in Kodambakkam after relatives of a student there allegedly attacked the physical training teacher of the school who was said to have roughed up a 13-year-old boy on Thursday. Angry employees of the boy’s father’s firm reportedly manhandled the instructor, S. Baskar, after the incident following which he was admitted to the Government Royapettah Hospital. Later, in the evening, staff of the school blocked the road for a few minutes, demanding the arrest of those who attacked the PT master, Baskar.
The police said that the boy, a Class 8 student there, had imitated the teacher after which Baskar is said to have roughed him up. The boy complained of giddiness during lunch and was sent home by the class teacher. “The boy already had mild fever and after the attack, his temperature soared and the boy had to be hospitalised,” according to Shanmuga Sundaram, an employee in the boy’s father’s firm.
A few of the father’s employees, along with the boy’s uncle, stormed into the school premises and allegedly attacked Baskar. Both parties approached the Kodambakkam police station and after long hours of arbitration, the police filed FIRs against those who allegedly attacked Baskar.Kodambakkam police inspector D.Gowthaman said that investigations into the alleged corporal punishment would be done by the School Education Department.
According to a senior police official, “Baskar got admitted to a hospital, albeit he had no visible injuries. The school management had alleged vandalism, but there are no signs of any such thing. We are investigating.” Police officials quoted the school authorities as saying that the safety of the teaching staff had become a concern with such acts.Father S Edward, correspondent of Loyola Matriculation higher secondary school, Kodambakkam said that the teacher warned the student who was found chatting with other students. “We have CCTV footages and there is no evidence of the boy being attacked by the teacher,” he stressed. The management alleged that the instructor was badly injured and is being treated at the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital.