Rani public school crowned winners at Kerala State CBSE Kalolsav

Nearly 3,500 students participated in 144 items in this three-day fest
TIRUR (MALAPPURAM): The 20th edition of the Kerala State CBSE Kalolsav ended on a happy note with Rani Public School, Vadakara, emerging overall champions with 489 points. Devamatha CMI Public School, Thrissur, was the first runner-up with 416 points and hosts MES Central School ended with 348 points to become the second runner-up. Central Zone-A won the Sabareesh Gopalan Gold Cup for overall championship with 2,688 points. Central Zone-B was the runner-up with 2,346 points. Actor Salim Kumar handed over the overall championship trophy to Rani Public School.
Rani Public School, which had been champion for four straight years from 2009 to 2012, regained the title after a gap of one year, which they lost to Holy Grace Academy, Mala, last year. The school participated and won prizes in 124 items out of the total 144 items at the youth fest. “Systematic reviews, planning and the dedication of staff and students enabled us to regain the title with a clear lead,” said Principal Geethalaxmi Sathyanathan. She said the school would improve its results next year after proper assessment and correction of mistakes.
Nearly 3,500 students participated in 144 items in this three-day fest. The competitions took place in four categories. The fest witnessed a good number of quality performances. “Some of the items like classical music, group dance and Malayalam recitation saw stellar performances. Tight competition and unbiased judgment made the fest a meaningful one”, said judging panel chief Soumya Krishnakumar. A total of 121 judges evaluated the performances. The committee received only four appeals, which were later withdrawn after satisfactory replies.
This youth festival would probably be the last under the banner of CBSE School Managements Association, as there were chances for a unified youth festival from next year under the HRD Department, said association officials during the press meet ahead of the valedictory function.
As the curtains came down on the 20th Kerala State CBSE youth festival, participants, parents and teachers had only praise for the organisers and volunteers of MES Central School, Tirur, the festival hosts. They said the hosts managed the huge event exceptionally well with quality service and facilities. More than 280 teachers, nearly 70 support staff and 180 students provided dedicated service to over 5,000 participants and the teachers and parents who accompanied them.
“Usually it’s the volunteers who make things worse by needless interventions and restrictions. The volunteers here were well mannered”, said Anil G., a parent. “The hosts provided us quality food and accommodation”, said Praveena, a participant from Thrissur. “The authorities have done a fabulous job. We thank them for their support and help,” said CBSE School Managements Association general secretary Indira Rajan.
MES Central School chairman and manager A.Moideen Kutty said the volunteers were given special training before the fest. “The system in our school is such that the staff and students know how to be in charge of hospitality. They know that any negative issue will be a blot on the reputation of all the institutions,” he said. “I am happy to hear that outstation participants and their parents spoke well of our institution. As one family, the school worked hard for the success of the festival,” he added.
A total of 16 stages were set up at the school. Food was prepared for nearly 8,000 people every day. Started in 1990, the MES Central School is one of the biggest CBSE schools in the State with more than 3,500 students studying from pre-primary to senior secondary sections.