Extra classes for Vizag students

Andhra University had remained closed from October 13 to 27

Visakhapatnam: College and university students of Vizag will be putting in additional time and hard work at their institutions.

Extra classes are being conducted to compensate the time lost post-Hudhud as many educational institutions stayed shut for two weeks.

Andhra University had remained closed from October 13 to 27. Prof. P.S. Awadhani, in-charge principal, College of Engineering, Andhra University, says, “Exams were to be conducted by October 27 but due to the cyclone and its aftermath they had to be postponed to November 20.

“While two weeks of usual classes were conducted, another one week of preparation time will be given to the students. Lectures for the first, second and third year students were conducted on even Saturdays, which are usually reserved for laboratory and research activities.” However, with extra time consumed for lectures, there are chances that winter vacation, which is usually of three weeks, will be reduced to two. At Gitam University, the students are spending extra hour in the colleges. An official from the university said, “Exams which were to be conducted in October end have been postponed to November. Extra classes are being conducted on Saturdays which are usually half-days.”

Praneeth Uppalapati, an engineering student, says, “We lost some valuable time due to the cyclone but it was unavoidable. It is good that the exams were not conducted as soon as the university reopened and we are getting time.”

P. Santosh, a final year student, said, “The city bounced back quickly and thanks to the efforts by government the university could reopen soon enough without much delay. I am all geared up for the exams and score some impressive marks.”