IIT Kharagpur student offered Rs 91 lakh package

International offers include those from Google Mountain View, Facebook

Kolkata: A month away from final placements, IIT Kharagpur students are being flooded with pre-placement offers with a 20 per cent increase this year.

IIT officials said already around 125 students have been extended pre-placement offers and interviews, where most of the companies have increased the package offered by around 20 per cent as compared to the last batch.

The highest offer made till date stands at a staggering Rs 91 lakh, they said.

International offers include those from Google Mountain View, Facebook, Works Application and Schlumberger while a large number of first time recruiters have also registered for final placements with the Career Development Centre at IIT Kharagpur.

The final placements are set to begin on December 1 in all the IITs before which a 50 per cent increase in the number of pre-placement offer is expected.

The latest trend observed is the overwhelming participation of e-commerce firms and startups, fresh from the boom in foreign investments and large rounds of funding by venture capitalists.

"The upcoming season is certainly looking very bright for the students. The response has been absolutely overwhelming with numerous companies expressing their willingness to hire KGPians. A unique curriculum clubbed with courses in Financial Engineering and Engineering Entrepreneurship gives a lead to the students of IIT Kharagpur unlike any other institute," said Punj Rajan, Vice-president of Technology Students' Gymkhana, IIT Kharagpur.

Prof S K Barai, Chairman of Career Development Center, IIT Kharagpur, said from this year onward special focus has been laid to boost the confidence of the graduating students, corporate workshops, case study contests, alumni mentorship session, assessment tests and soft skill training.

( Source : PTI )