B-school in Angamaly raises Zero Waste Challenge

Over 50 students & staff of De Paul School of Management cleaned town
Kochi: After the “Rice Bucket Challenge,” a Business school in Angamaly on Saturday came up with the “Zero Waste Challenge” to help clean towns and cities in the state. Kicking off the initiative, over 50 students and staff of the De Paul School of Management cleaned Angamaly town on Saturday.
The volunteers, who assembled at the Angamaly KSRTC bus stand in the morning, spent over four hours cleaning the area.
“We want students of other B- schools of Kerala to take up this challenge. This is the first time a college is challenging another to clean our state,” said De Paul principal, Fr. (Dr) James Chelapurath V C.
Besides doing their bit with a broom, the students also spoke to people of the area , telling them about the hazards of disposing plastic and other waste in the open. The response was encouraging as a number of people promised to take care in the future.
“The shopowners and the police even gave the students soft drinks and snacks, which clearly showed public support for the campaign. If every college embarks on such a drive, we can clean up our entire state,” Fr. James added.
The drive was inaugurated by Angamaly Municipal chairman, Benny Munjeli, at the KSRTC bus stand at 9 am. The programme was organised as a curtain raiser for Daksh’14, the college management fest, scheduled for November 27 and 28.