Judicial probe demanded into police harassment

Ganesh brutally trashed and warned to him leave the city after abusing his community
KARIMNAGAR: Civil Liberties Committee’s (CLC) Karimnagar district unit general secretary M. Kumaraswamy demanded a judicial probe by sitting judge of the High Court into alleged harassment of a student leader by Karimnagar I town police. Speaking to media personnel here on Thursday, he said the police arrested J. Ganesh, state co-ordinator of Bahujan Samaj Student Federation (BSF), for allegedly damaging furniture of a private junior college and tortured him on October 21. Mr. Kumaraswamy said the committee found that the police had thrashed Ganesh brutally and warned to him leave the city after abusing his community even when he was not accused in the offence as per police records.
He claimed that the committee had carried out an independent inquiry to find out facts relating to the incident, after Ganesh approached the panel, a few days back. Further, he urged elected representatives to take steps to curb violence by the police personnel and to strive for governance, as per the framework of the law, besides booking cases against the police officials.
According to findings of the committee, Ganesh and two other student leaders, along with 20 students, damaged furniture of Sri Gayathri Junior College after having a heated argument with the college management over delay in issuing transfer certificates to students who completed their courses on August 12.
Following the incident, a case was booked against the two students leaders, but Ganesh’s name was not included in the First Information Record (FIR) and other records.
However, police, under the pretext of inquiry, beat him up in the cell in the police station and even abused him in the name of his cast. SI Ravindra Naik and Inspector Karunakar Rao, of Karimnagar I town, on October 21, beat him up by tying his two legs. Also, police allegedly told him to leave the city. Else, they threatened him that he would be killed, all in the presence of Ganesh’s mother, sister at police station.