Add more Udaan centres: CM O Panneerselvam to PM Modi

Tamil Nadu ignored in girl students scheme: CM
Chennai: Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam on Wednesday urged the Prime Minister to increase the number of contact centres in Tamil Nadu for the Udaan scheme which will mentor girl students to compete for admission into premier engineering colleges in the country.
This scheme has been introduced by the Central Board of Secondary Education. Under the Udaan scheme, a total of 1,000 girl students in classes 11 and 12) under all boards of education will be selected on merit for receiving special online and direct coaching for entering the Indian Institutes of Technology and National Institute of Technology.
Tamil Nadu has been allotted only two contact class centres of the 151 centres to be set up across the country.
In his missive to Prime Minister Modi, Mr Panneerselvam said, “The application form has a leading question which requires the applicants to opt for cities for contact class centres out of those listed in the brochure and TN has only two cities on the list. Tamil Nadu, as a leading state in education, would have a number of students eligible under the scheme. Hence, it is surprising to note that out of the 151 contact class centres, only two have been approved for TN.”
He pointed out that a much larger number of centres have been provided in many other states. “Two centres in a large state with a substantial girl student population in the science stream are inadequate and this by itself can act as a dampener. Apprehension about having to travel long distances to go to contact classes will undoubtedly reduce response from eligible candidates,” Panneerselvam said.
The CM expressed surprise at the absence of Chennai, which is a leading metropolis and an educational hub, on the list of contact study centre locations unlike other large metropolitan cities.
According to him, such a move would deprive a large number of eligible students of an opportunity to get prepared. Urging the PM to intervene and open a study centre in each district headquarter, Mr Panneerselvam requested Mr Modi to examine the design flaws in the Udaan scheme. He requested the Centre to extend the last date for applications for the scheme to November 30, 2014.