Students honour cleaning staff at hospital

Assisi Vidyaniketan Public School treads different path
KOCHI: What does it make little ones feel for those toiling in hospitals to keep people healthy and comfortable? “It’s our duty and this is a small contribution from all of us”, say students of Assisi Vidyaniketan Public School, at Perumpilli in Vypeen.
The latest step by them in this regard was to honour the cleaning staff of General Hospital, Ernakulam, as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan launched nation-wide to make a Clean India. The students moved in this regard when they realized that the cleaning staff was at the lower rung of the hospital workers’ ladder. The 150 staff included those in Class I, Class II, sweeper category, segregation section, washing section, Kudumbasree cleaning staff, security staff and canteen workers.
They all assembled at the hospital conference hall on Monday to be greeted by the little ones. The students entertained them with various programmes. Sreelakshmi of Class four presented a magic show which was the main attraction.
Plus-Two students presented a fusion dance to the accompaniment of Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi and English songs. Students of Class 10 also danced to the accompaniment of popular film songs.
A mono-act presentation by Arjun K.Shenoy on the loneliness of old age which was quite like the story of some of the inmates of the hospital, added difference to the show.
To add glitter to the show, the hospital staff also joined them in the end to show their artistic skills. They were surprised by the gifts from the students and each staff was also honoured on the occasion.
Hospital superintendent Dr Annie and school administrator Fr Antony Paul Keerambilli, Principal Alphonsa Sebastian and Manger Antony Joseph Job were present on the occasion.