Nuals students to launch online portal for consumer redressal

Rohit explains how students plan to address the issue of consumer rights

KOCHI: The students of the Centre for Consumer Protection Law and Policy of the Kochi-based National University of Advanced Legal Studies are all set to launch an online system for addressing the grievances of consumers.

The initiative by students, a first of its kind initiative, is expected to be launched in the next few days, says Rohit Nandakumar, student coordinator of the centre and a fourth year student of LL.B. In an interview to DC, Rohit explains how students plan to address the issue of consumer rights and the protection of their interests. Excerpts from the interview:

Q: Although the Consumer Protection Act was enacted in the 1980s a lot of people are still unaware of its provisions. What is your impression?
A: It is true that awareness of CPA is limited. As students we hope to be catalysts for spreading the importance of law amongst larger sections of people. An online grievance redressal system by the Centre for Consumer Protection Law and Policy under the initiative of the students will be a major step in this regard. The students have also taken the initiative of setting up a legal aid cell which would serve in providing legal opinion to the public on matters of consumer disputes.

Q: When do you plan to roll out the online system?
A: We will roll out the system in the next couple of days. With the launch of the online system we hope to act as a bridge between complainants and consumer redressal agencies. Our aim is to provide assistance to consumers who approach the judiciary for redressal of their grievances.

Q: What is the role of CCPLP in spreading the message of consumer awareness?
A: The centre was established with the intention of developing research and educational programmes related to consumer protection law. It’s a fact that we lack sufficient number of research centres in this area. I hope the centre serves as a pathbreaker in terms of its activities as well as objectives and methodology. The two national level seminars held by the centre on ‘Equipping the Consumer Disputes Redressal Agencies for the Present and Future’ and ‘Shifting Frontiers of Law of Medical Negligence in Consumer Protection Law’, received good response from various stakeholders in the sector.