Eight workers injured as roof collapses

Incident may have occured due to heavy rains or improper fixing of the centering rods
Coimbatore: Eight construction workers were injured after a concrete roof collapsed and fell on them at a building under construction on a private school campus on Tiruchy road in Sowripalayam on Thursday. The concrete roofing may have caved in following heavy rains in Coimbatore or due to improper fixing of the centering rods, police said.
The Alvernia matriculation school on Trichy road in Sowripalayam is constructing a two- storey school building inside the school campus to accommodate more classrooms and a laboratory. Around ten construction workers were working at the site when the ceiling collapsed.
Around 9 am on Thursday, the construction workers were dabbing concrete mix on the roof on the second floor, when the concrete slab collapsed and fell on the workers, which injured them. Students were not allowed near the construction site and hence no student suffered any injury, the police said.
The injured workers - Kanappan (25), Kaliappan (25), Annamalai (51), Selan (43), Panneerselvam (33), Mohan (35), Gowri (40) and Nagapushpam (31) - are all from Dharmapuri district. They are being treated at the government hospital. The condition of Panneerselvam was said to be critical as he had suffered head injuries.
"It was a pleasant, breezy morning. But suddenly the concrete roof collapsed on us. However we were lucky to escape with injuries ", said Kaliappan, an injured worker.The doctors at the hospital said that two of them had suffered fractures in the shoulder and forearms while the others escaped with bruises and abrasions.